The idea that it is a waste of time to set goals when life dishes lemons has probably crossed your mind.
You are probably saying, “what the heck? People are dying due to COVID-19, companies are shedding jobs and the future is looking bleak”.
If that is the case, know that you are not alone.
The reality is that this is but one of the many difficult times you are faced with, and it will also pass.
When it passes, the future will still be waiting for you hence it is critical to pursue your goals, notwithstanding the difficulties.
I have experienced the benefits of setting goals especially under trying times because that is when your mettle is tested.
Goal setting affords clarity and a sense of hope in trying times:
- Goals provide a sense of direction.
By their very nature, difficult times cloud the mind and create confusion. It is for this reason that you have to counter pessimism by setting goals that will blaze the path to the future you deserve.
Having a sense of direction mitigates the chances of going through life lost. It enhances your conviction to something bigger than yourself.
- Goals propel you to achieve more.
For most people when COVID-19 hit, they despaired and lost hope.
I reviewed my goals and resolved to push boundaries especially during the hard lockdown times when it felt like the world has come to a standstill:
- Created products and services that address the needs of my clients.
- Hosted webinars to empower leaders with tools to manage during a crisis.
- Shared the platform with my business partners to share knowledge and information every week until December 2020.
- Supported our coaching clients for free.
- Started writing another book and continuing.
- Revamped my website.
- Wrote weekly blog articles and daily inspirations and produced videos for my YouTube channel.
- Invested time and resources to refine my coaching skills.
- Took the relationship with my kids to another level.
- Exercised 5 days of the week without fail.
- Rearranged my finances and got rid of bad debt.
- Got me a new home.
I have achieved all of these because my vision board guided me to pursue my desires irrespective of the many challenges I encountered.
- Goals give life meaning.
Setting goals help you focus on things that add value to your life. They are the nerve centre for positive and constructive existence and recipes for a successful life.
In the words of Zig Ziglar, “You cannot make it as a wandering generality. You must become a meaningful specific”.
To become a meaningful specific requires setting goals to surmount challenges and difficulties that are guaranteed to emerge at different stages of your life.
Be encouraged and resolve to be great (resolutions matter) by setting goals to give your life a sense of direction, achievement and meaning.
If you are intrigued by the idea of achieving extraordinary results in your life, I invite you to explore coaching with one of our coaches. Drop us an email on email@example.com.
Tex Hlalele is a Life & Business Coach, Consultant, Speaker and Author of the book Face the person in the mirror. Book Tex for coaching and speaking engagements to help you and your team gain insights and possibilities for individual learning and organizational advancement. Get in touch by sending an email on firstname.lastname@example.org. If you found value in this article, please be so kind as to share with those close to you.